RWR 0.98.5 has just been released! Mostly the polishing and tweaking work continues as seen in the change log, including the earlier 0.98.4, 0.98.3, and the two hot fix updates 0.98.2 and 0.98.1. For 0.98.5 we’ve also added a new online gamemode targeted to provide a tighter PvP(vE) experience versus the sandboxy Classic mode.
The gamemode – we shall refer to it as minimodes until someone comes up with a name for it – features several short objective based scenarios for team based battling between two factions with preferably players for at least 3 vs 3, but the more the merrier. The scenarios take place in varying active zones in Moorland Trenches consisting usually of 2-3 base areas with restricted access outside the zone. To get started, we’ve got modes set up such as
- Team Deathmatch, pretty self-explanatory
- King Of The Hill, fight over one base and defend it for a given time to win
- Team Teddy Hunt, where a crate is spawned at a random location guarded by a few bots, a hint is given about the location and the teams must locate the crate, fight for it and destroy it, and deliver the contents to an armory; while delivering the cargo, both factions see the carrier in the map view
There is a total of 16 zones where the modes take place, and by default, the modes last for 10 minutes each or less in case the target objective score is reached.
Additional modes will be worked on in the next updates. We’ve been bouncing ideas about at least
- a vehicle escort / ambush mode, where one team escorts a vehicle from location A to B while the other attempts to stop the delivery
- assault / defend, where one team builds and defends a base which the other team attempts to reach
- capture the flag mode